Re: lilo boot

Hello,
         There r many solutions to this problem.
1) i keep a copy of vmlinuz (my linux kernel) and loadlin.exe on windows
partition.
        Boot into DOS.
         Enter the following command:-
        loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro

( here i am keeping both loadlin & vmlinuz in the same directory otherwise u
have to give path of vmlinuz ; and /dev/hda2 is the linux's root partition
in my case)
    if u don't have these files, u can find them on Red Hat linux CD.
2) make a dos boot disk. copy loadlin.exe and vmlinuz on this disk. boot
into dos using this disk. issue the command mentioned above.
3)  download linux boot disk from Slackware's site. there r many.

i use bare.i or scsi.s    and a dos program rawrite.exe( u can also find
rawrite.exe on Red Hat CD)
Boot into DOS
Enter the following command:

rawrite  bare.i a:

  or
rawrite scsi.s  a:

This way u will get a very useful boot disk.
Just boot with boot disk.
At boot promt type the following command:

mount root=/dev/hda2 ro

( it will boot into ur linux system. here i am assuming  /dev/hda2 as root
partition)
In all these cases:-
login as root and run lilo command to again get lilo at MBR.

In fact more ways can be suggested.
-------------
Now u can make linux boot disk in many ways.
login as root.
use any of the following methods:
1) dd </boot/vmlinuz>/dev/fd0
     rdev  /dev/fd0         /dev/hda2