Breaking into schools

Introducing Linux to school kids have always been in my mind. However,
procastrination being one of my dominant virtues, I haven't yet
started off in planning for the same.

I thought of starting off with, what else? - my own school. Even
though I had passed out about 8 years back, I hope they would still
give me a chance to talk to them.

My school is like a lot of public schools in Delhi - snobbish, more
emphasis on extra-curricular activities than curricular, etc. The
point being that they lay emphasis on things that affect their
"social" standing, so to speak. I will elaborate on this later.

Now if I go ahead and approach the principal, I would like to
represent myself not only as an alumni, but also as part of an
organisation. Now while, linux-delhi IS there, it is more or less a
virtual organisation. Also, would members of linux-delhi, consider me
suitable enough to represent them? The need for association is because
of the stand that I would like to take, as given below:

1. I would personally give them assurance for a demo installation and
it's support, and introductory classes for working on a Linux
system. Further help would depend on my professional commitments
which generally doesn't allow much space.

2. I would like to assure them of support from a community(without
warranty ;) ), which would help them on a volunteer basis.

3. I would like to offer the services of part-time teachers - through
the community, if and when they are available, for a fee if
required. I would be responsible for co-ordination for the same.

It would be nice if some folks, who agree with my efforts , could
accompany me. In return, I would offer my services when they approach
their own schools.

A presentation for Linux would probably be required. This needs to
emphasise the non-monetary benefits of Linux as much as possible. The
reason being, that schools like mine don't want to spread the
impression that (unlike m$ classes) they are offering something to be
"free". That's a problem with all social conscious schools in
Delhi(pathetic!)

Official letters from community might help, but since we are not yet a
official organisation ...

I would like to invite comments on this. Is my approach worth it?
Public schools are commercial organisations in Delhi. If we don't
offer a good deal, they would rather brush you off ...

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya