From: Jaswinder Singh Kohli [mailto:jskohli@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 12:17 AM
To: linux-delhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [linux-delhi] Localhost problem!!

Get your hosts file in etc right for local host most dists i have seen
come
with some crap unformatted file

so just try this it worked fine and do check out whether apached is
runnig
or not

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1  localhost   whatEverHostNameYouHave    localhost.localdomain
whatEverHostNameYouHave.whateverDOMAIN

99.9999% it will work

Puneet Parashar wrote:

> Hi everyone!!
>
> i tried all three but it still doent work!!
>
> there's one point i wish to be clear upon.
> when the system boots up the Ethernet card (or the NIC) detects the IP
> address assigned to it BEFORE it knows whatever hostname is assigned
> it. am i correct??
> what i am trying to understand is that /etc/hosts
> a) provides the machine with the corresponding IP addresses of various
> hosts which may be refernced from time to time
> OR
> b) provides the hostname for a given IP address
> OR
> c) Both a & b
>
> this is getting a bit confusing for me now.
>
> If I change the hostname from localhost.localdomain (which has an
alias
> localhost) to say "ABC" while retaining the alias as "localhost" would
> still be able to reference the machine as localhost or would i need to
> look for "ABC" on my N/W. This is important to me as when i try to
> access the swat or http/https service running on my machine from some
> other machine say "M" i cant say http://localhost:80 or
> http://localhost:901 or https://localhost:443. For all i know or
rather
> dont know, that machine M might itself be running a web server (or
even
> the same web server) and then which one gets accessed??
>
> I am sorry if i am confusing anyone but i really need a hand with this
> jumbled up problem.
>
> Thanx to evryone in advance (especially vava and yashpal)
> Regds,
> Puneet

and
> so
> you neednt have the internet connection at this point of time...
> 2. maybe your swat is not enabled... open /etc/xinetd.d/swat and put
> "disable=no". you could then restart xinetd... but then, the easier
way
> out
> ofcourse is restart the machine... (yeah i know its the wrong to
learn..
> but
> we should get one thing right at one time...;)
>
> (xinetd would be on your system, if you have RH7.x or greater...
earlier
> versions have inetd as explained by another response to your
request..)

> 3. one more point that i can remember is that its port 901... so you
> need to
> give http://localhost:901/ in your browser.. "along with the port
> number...
>
> try these out...
> it should work.
>
> vavi

Regards
Jaswinder Singh Kohli
jskohli@xxxxxxx
The Uni(multi)verse is a figment of its own imagination.
In truth time is but an illusion of 3D frequency grid programs.