Joining a domain Samba

Hi

    I have one linux machine running Samba. There is
no WinNT PDC or BDC. This linux machine is local
master, preferred master and domain controller. Now
with security = share and guest login = ok I am able
to see the shares through winnt / win2k but if I make
security = user I am not able to join the domain as
advertised by samba from either Win2K or WinNT w/s. It
says this client is not authorized though I have put
its name in hosts allow and of course restarted samba.
In logs it seems it is not able to authenticate
username/password.
User exists in passwd,smbpasswd and NIS also.

Any pointers?
TIA
Naresh

=====