proftpd 1.2.1 umask

Hi !
  All , I have installed proftpd server on a online server through rpm src, woking fine, But when user uploads the file the permissions are rw-r--r--, I want it to be 755 ,I also tried by putting Umask 000 in the virtual host enty for the domain but did't work out.
Also what are the default permissions in linux when a user creates the file, in Sun solaris i read 666 for a file and 777 for a dir
Is is same for Linux ?
Can someone tell abt umask how to set in case if no login has to be given to a user only to a ftp user.
Regards,

Yashpal Nagar