Re: two good poems; Wether perl any good?

Hi Mithun!

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:16:20PM +0530, Mithun Bhattacharya merrily said:

> what can anybody do in that case ?? None of the languages can do
> anything about that.

For Perl/PHP, I would suggest you take a look at the FastTemplate packages.

> be more efficient in case of a database connection. I am sure there is
> nothing stopping anybody from writing a pure perl implementation of the
> MySQL driver and rest assured Perl as a language is fully capable of

I agree. But nobody HAS done it till now.

> doing that. As for your claim that most perl module is just a wrapper -
> I would say that is a baseless accusation.

I apologetically withdraw that statement. After writing that bit,
guilt overcame me. I took a look at some of the Perl modules. "Most"
is a wrong word to use. "Many" would have been more appropriate. ;)

> As for availability I believe any perl code will run without a problem
> on all platform but ofcourse I would also accept that not all packages
> are available on Windows and Macintosh. This is not a limitation of Perl
> as such but of the package manager. I don't know why Activestate didnt
> use the standard procedure but I don't think there is any reason for a
> tar ball not to uncompress and execute under windows...

Believe me. Try doing just one application on Windows in Perl. You
would understand my anguish.

As far as tar balls working under windows. No chance. Activestate
warns you against using CPAN modules directly. You would only probably
manage upto Perl Makefile.Pl.

Regards,
 Sandip

--