How to do this...

Well this is a simple question for you guys, but I've never done or heard
about this, so it's new and awesome to me.

I've d/l a no. of tar ball distros. of various s/w but I'm facing difficulty
in installing them. The Kpackage does not install them then how to go about
with installing them. Do I need to do some compiling or what ? I treid to
read thru the READMEs distributed with them, but they talk Latin for me. The
distros. that I've are different, I guess. A few say, "arch" , "nonarch" ,
"src" , "binary".

With the RPM files I did not find any difficulty, as I installed them
directly using kpackage. By the way do the RPMs also need to be compiled
before installation.

One of the RPMs that I had installed included FreeAmp. It was an RPM distro.
from the PCQuest CD. The problem is that it says it shud be compiled before
installation becoz the Plugins that were a part of the distro need to built.
Aren't RPM's precompiled ??

Thanks in advance.

regards,
Bhummanjot S.