chat with FIFO

	I'm running Slackware 7.0 on a Compaq Aero 4/33C Laptop.(
486SX/33MHz/163MB/4MB!). I use this setup for fetch/sendmail and it works
quite nicely.

	For dialup I'm using a simple chatscript. I'd like to make this
process intelligent enough to get around busy numbers, changes in the
server responses like prompts and permit an interactive login. A possible
solution exists in the form of a named pipe/FIFO through which chat can
communicate to an interactive script and thus to the user.

	Could someone please tell me how exactly a FIFO is used. I'm sure
this problem has been tackled before and if there's another solution I'll
be glad to have it.

	Thanks in advance.

Sira.
-----