Relocatable Packages (Was: No subject)

Hi Goldwyn,

Most GNU software after compiling are not relocatable.  They rely on
files which are present in the path that you gave to "--prefix" while
compiling them.  Their corresponding binary RPM's are thus also not
relocatable.

However, some documentation and data file rpm packages are relocatable.

To install from a relocatable package, you give:
# rpm -ivh --prefix=<dir> <package>

On a Redhat 7.0 system, the file "/usr/share/doc/rpm-4.0/relocatable"
will give you more info about relocatable packages.

Regards,
Lokesh Setia.