Help regarding ifconfig and route command

Hi all,

I am working on a project and my requirement is to give the ip address to the network card using command line. At present I am using ifconfig , but the changes are lost as soon as I reboot the machine. Due to my peculiar project work I cannot put the put this ifconfig line in some startup file for e.g. rc.local. I am using Redhat Linux 6.2.

Can anybody tell me is there an option in ifconfig command to make the entry permanent or can anybody suggest any other command line option to give/change the ip address of the network card.

I am also facing the same problem with route command sometimes. Though most of the time the entries made using route command are permanent. But why on some systems do I face this type of problem. Pls also suggest any remedy for this.

Bye

Deepak