Re: Setting root password in MySQL

If you have a default install there is no password for root.
For better security delete the user "" - blank once you login.
Delete the user root and use some other name for administrative tasks to
prevent hacking / fiddling because port 3306 is used by MySQL is known to
every user under the sun.
Contact me off-list with problems and I'll help you.