Unable to Telnet

Hi Foks!

I am facing a peculiar problem.  I am able to connect this
machine through windows explorere, ftp. But when I do a telnet to this m/c
I am unable to get connected as the connection gets lost/closed. From this
m/c I am
able to telnet , ftp etc to other m/cs on the network.
What might have gone wrong, is it some time time out issue??? I am not
denying any hosts, either.

Tried the following things

 /etc/services files about the port no at,which telnet is listening to.
/etc/inet.conf is also fine.
telnet localhost 25 is fine.
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd is there.
But telnet localhost is not successfull.

Prompt response will be appreciated.

Sankar