Re: [vikram] think and flame

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Sudhakar Chandra wrote:

> Even though I don't agree with all of Vikram's points, I think this
> particular incident has illustrated a very important safety issue.  DO NOT
> run any script or program that you don't know about.  Treat all foreign
> code like a ticking time bomb.

that last phrase is a golden rule, but is mostly ignored. about once a
month we get an emergency call from a faculty member who received an
attachment in a mail (often unsolicited and from an unknown person) and
executed it. like some one said on tv, when someone says the earth is
round or man landed on the moon, we believe it; when a big sign says wet
paint, we have the urge to touch and see if the paint really is wet. the
problem is, how do we sensitize people to this?

sriram

ps: me? i am paranoid and even if i download code that is listed in one of
the linux software archives, i am scared of running it. i dont think it is
too difficult to inject a trojan - maybe, there will be repercussions, but
damage could be done.