Re: clear dumps core

kamesh jayachandran wrote (kameshj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> I have RHL6.2 whenever i issue `clear`.It dumps the core.How to fix it.

Unfortunately the information you present is insufficient to pinpoint the
cause of this problem. But here are some items to check -

Ensure that the TERM environment variable is correctly set. It should be
"xterm" under X and "linux" on console.

Check that your "clear" binary is not corrupt by checksumming it against the
original. Read your rpm manpage for the relevent commands.

Clear also reads the "terminfo" database to figure out how to clear the
screen. So ensure that this is properly installed and setup - I think that
this is a part of the curses package.

Run gdb and examine the core file to figure out what went wrong. Also run
strace on clear and watch what it is upto.

If all else fails, post more error messages (from gdb and strace).

Btw, a quicker way to clear the screen is to press <Ctrl> + L.

- Raja