Re: Relaying with sendmail 8.8.7

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Oommen Thomas wrote:
> How to allow/deny relaying in 8.8.7 sendmail?
> Is this possible or do I have to upgrade to newer version?

relay allow/deny capabilities are present in 8.8.7; however, versions
below 8.9.3 or so can be defeated using special forms of addresses and are
thus open for spamming. if spam defeating is not of major concern and you
simply want to be able to provide controlled realying, 8.8.7 will do fine.
this might be the situation with dial-up or low speed (isdn type) leased
line connects. there are three lines in the sendmail.cf file that begin
F{LocalIP}, F(LocalNames} and F{RelayTo}; these lines contain names of
files that contain the relavant data (as one can guess). the first two are
for outward relaying of mail - any mail FROM machines with ip addresses
and domain names in these files will be realyed out (and this has nothing
to do with what is the from address of the sender or where the mail is
headed). the third entry is for inbound mail - mail from anywhere TO the
mail destinations referred to in the appropriate file will be accepted.
sendmail 8.9.3 and later support more sophisticated access controls -
through a Kaccess entry in the sendmail.cf file.

sriram g()