Re: SWAP SIZE

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 at 17:04, Linux <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> chittered like a monkey:

-> If I have 256 MB of RAM it becomes a huge amount and if the machine is
-> going to be used as a desktop pc, it is an  utter waste. Linux doesn't use

	I would imagine so. I personally use something like, "disk throughput multiplied by 15" -- the info of which I get by running "hdparm -tT"
	But when I am running multiple instances of Netscape, VMware, XEmacs, and distibuted-net , it gets kinda heavy and a lot of swapping takes place (or atleast, my machine goes dead slow -- I somehow figured a lot of swap was being used.) I would imagine any half decent desktop machine would infact be doing many of these -- But again, my experiences are limited to machines with a max. of 64MB RAM, so I really do not know how a 256MB RAM machine would behave.

-> swap the way BSD does. You don't have to make swap bigger than your main
-> memory. If you have lots of RAM, you don't need swap itself. Swap is a

	I didn't know this :)

->     Elaborating on how BSD uses swap, when you load a program, a copy of

	Oh, that was cool. Thanks.

	-r
--
Ravikant K.Rao | finger ravi@xxxxxxxxxxx for more details.
  7:32am  up 4 days, 15:03,  3 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.11, 0.02