Tamil KDE * working well in Mandrake

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:54:43 GMT
From: Venkataramanan V <naadodi@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<cut>
I was also struggling to get kde 2.0 and tamil working.  I was using RH 7.x.
  I was frustrated to the end, trying with many stupid things then gave up
and went to mandrake site and read some intersting news, they have released
new 7.2  and it contains kde2.0 by default.  I just got my data from linux
partition backed up quickly and went ahead to load mandrake.

Believe me, I am stumped to undergo the plesant experience of the whole
installation.  I just had to to select tamil locale file (partial and so is
not in the main set of locales) and load.  Up and KDE working, I downloaded
a couple of ttf tamil fonts and installed them.  Selected tamil locale file
hidden beneath 'other'.  Set it.  Set the look and feel to tamil font
(aparanartsc, my first choice).  Restarted x >>>> voila!! I could see the
whole tamil GUI!!!!  Life is so simple.  Hats off to Mandrake people.  I
read sometime back that mandrake uses redhat at the backbone and in the
process it gives a better redhat than redhat itself. I endorse this
statement.

Drake comes with excellent tools, > x based drakconf. to finger most of the
system. I created a boot floppy on the fly just for fun using drakfloppy.
set some ttf fonts using draffont.  The simpilicity is spell bounding!!! The
fact that they are very quick to adopt kde2.0 and make even incomplete
languages like tamil available for ready to use format is really great.  I
am yet to load the tamil keyboard which will complete the system.

</cut>
venkat