From: Athena <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ilugc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: What is Original idea/concept in LINUX ?

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, keky_uswest.net wrote:
>
> > Anyone, Name one Original idea/concept which is UNIQUE and
> > implemented in LINUX OS only ? Anything in Security, UI, network
> > architecture etc.,
> >
> > e.g., X was an original idea from MIT. NFS from SUN.
> > SAMBA is not, it is just a reimplementation.
> > ReiserFS is just another implementation of Journalizing
> > File System!.
> >
> > Best answer gets US$10.00.  Winner will be notified
> > by e-mail and how to get the MONEY.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Keky Robertson
> >
>         Coda (distributed file system) is an original idea from Carnegie
> Mellon University which is implemented in Linux only ( by the guys from
> CMU).

DFS implementation existed in APOLLO computers (in the 80s).
In what way DFS is uniqe idea/concept in LINUX OS other than 1st
implementation
in LINUX   ?

> A correction -
>        ReiserFS is not just an implementation of Journaling FS (In fact
> journaling was added only later on -- fsck on their FS was damn slow and
> not so reliable)
>        It uses balanced tree, files need not be block aligned. (the join
> or cluster small files together and save space ,might improve performance
> because a single  block read can read more than a file , it is object
> oriented  -- to name a few features --  there is a nice
> artice in reiserfs site  (www.devlinux.com/projects/reiserfs).

Agree.  ReiserFS offers more than just JFS reimplementation.
I am not disagreeing with your comments, just used it as an
example to say it doesn't qualify.  B-Tree FS implementation
existed previously also. What is new, unique idea/concept
in ReiserFS other than re-implementation of several pre-existing
clever ideas.  If you disagree, and feel ReiserFS qualifies,
I will accept your ilugc peers support of your theory and
send you the MONEY.