Re: peculiar problem with bash

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, M K Saravanan wrote:

> hi,
>
>  I downloaded a jdk1.2.2 rc4 for linux.  When i tried to run the
> corresponding shell scripts to install jdk, bash is simply telling: No
> such file or directory. But I checked the filename spelling, case, path
> etc.., 100 times. Everything is correct. but when i got the following
> error mess.
>
> #./jdk-debug-1.2.2-RC4-linux-i386-glibc-2.1.2.sh
> bash: ./jdk-debug-1.2.2-RC4-linux-i386-glibc-2.1.2.sh: No such file or
> directory
>
> It seems to be a very strange problem.  How can the bash say there is no
> such file when that file exists? Even I gave the full path -- no
> solution. What can be the problem?

      The problem is quite simple. There is an extra '\r' at the end of
the line. You can find it by using
          od -c filename
          If you see '\r' then you know the problem. I have had this
problem with some scripts. ( Happens when you use a Windows/Dos editor to
code your scripts )
          For fixing it use
           tr -d '\r' <filename  >newfilename
           and run the script using sh newfilename