kppp - connection refused by X server

Hello,
When I run kppp from root it works fine (RH6.2).
When kppp is run as user it asks for root password and when given the
same, it reports the following and comes out.

Xlib: Client is not authorised to connect to server
kppp: cannot connect to X server :0.0

This was not so some time back, kppp was working well for a normal user.
Can someone guide me as to what has gone wrong.
Thanks.

-Sekar