Re: login incorrect - sharing /home in rhl and deb

"Suraj.co.in" proclaimed:
>   I run debian 2.2 :-)  and RHL 6.2  :-( with shadow passwds in both.
>
>   I thought it would be a great way of saving disk space if /tmp and
> /home are shared. :-s After installing rhl 6.2 I changed the fstab and
> copied the passwd, shadow, groups from debian's /etc to rhl's /etc( yup,
> replaced the ones in rhl) . Now started the problem!  :-(
>
>   I'm not able to log into my debian A/C, but I'm able to do so from
> rhl. :-)

If you copied Debian's passwd, group and shadow file over to RH's /etc,
that should not stop you from logging into Debian.  After all, Debian's
passwd, shadow files have not changed.  Sounds like some other problem to
me.

If I were to put on my Sherlock Holmes hat, I'd say normal users are unable
to log in because /home/username is not around to plop the user in.  Can
you cut and paste an entry from your /etc/password and /etc/shadow file for
our benefit.  Also, is /home mounted when you boot up Debian?  The reason
you are able to log in as root is because root's home directory is /root
and not /home/root.

Another thing you might want to check out is what the login shell is for
all these users.

Thaths
--
     "Now, let's all turn around and pay attention to me again."
                    -- Homer J. Simpson