Re: unix virus

M K Saravanan proclaimed:
>   If I am using unix, then can i say i am 100% free from virus attack? Is
> there is any know unix virus in the history?

The security model of unix is much better than that for WinDOS.  That is
why you do not see many viruses (virii??) for unix.  To infect your entire
system (not just your own files) the virus would have to run as root.  The
Morris worm that Arun spoke about exploited the vulnerability in one of the
daemon software (sendmail? ftpd??  I don't recall) on the unix boxen.  This
daemon was running as root.

The only real way to protect your system is to practive very safe system
administration.  Don't compile software that you don't trust.  Don't do
things as root unless you really have to.  Beware of trojan horses.  Secure
your system.  Be on the lookout for vulnerabilities in the software that
you have installed on your system and patch the software.

Thaths
--
Homer: [yawns] Marge, I'm bored.
Marge: Why don't you read something?