Re: regarding keys

hi,

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, kamesh jayachandran wrote:

> I want to configure windows key in keyboard to act as shortcut for start
> like(foot) button.

man xmodmap

$ cat ~/.Xmodmap
keycode 107 = Delete
keycode 115 = Super_L
keycode 116 = Super_R
keycode 117 = Hyper_R
$

works for me on debian.  If it doesnt work for you run 'xev' and press the
key you want to map. Look for its keycode and use that number in your
.Xmodmap.

# sample output from xev after i pressed the left key (and without the
# .Xmodmap)
KeyPress event, serial 21, synthetic NO, window 0x3c00001,
    root 0x26, subw 0x0, time 3354328440, (30,109), root:(537,182),
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
# end of sample

man xev.  If all this fails, well, now you know why I run
debian. :)

You can configure the windowmanager to use "Super_L" as the left "windows"
key.  Remaining stuff is obvious.  I think configuring this with
enlightenment should be trivial.  with fvwm2 you'd need a line like

Key Super_L     A       N       PopUp_Menu_that_is_defined_for_fvwm2

in your .fvwm2rc