Re[2]: netscape addressbook format

Hello Saravanan,

      This is offtopic, but hoping this might help sombody else
      someday, (*wears asbestos suit*) I'm posting the response too
      to the list...

MKS> S.M.A.R.T Hard disk status Bad Backup and replace

MKS> while i ran scandisk, i found nearly 20% of the harddisk contains bad
MKS> sectors.  so i backed up the mail directory of netscape.  I want to import
MKS> the mails in that directory in netscape of new hard disk.  How can i do
MKS> that?

Since you mention that you use scandisk, I suppose it'd be safe to
assume yr using Windows.

Under the NS directory open the Users/<your profile>/mail directory.
You'll find a bunch of files, for instance Inbox, and Inbox.snm. The
snm files are smary files (which NS will rebuild if its lost), and the
names without the extnsion is the actuual mailbox file in the unix mbx
format. This is a plain text format and can be opened in any editor.

Just copy this file into  your new hdd. Since your new hdd will also
have inbox in the appropriate folder, you may rename this file (in
which case you first need to create a folder of the same name in NS
before you rename and drop the older file), or just overwrite. All the
mail/news folders you'd created in the older hdd will be present in
directories of the same name under the abovementioned folder, use a
similar procedure.

In short :
a) Open new NS
b) create appropriate mail folder to dup previos setup
c) copy older mbox files (the ones without extension) into the
appropriate directories

this is the procedure I use when I need to backup/restore, and it
works for me... YMMV

hth
BGa