Re:Re: is there any way to expand the fs size

hi,

    shashank>   Some problem with this sample fstab though both my
    shashank> partition / and /usr are like

    >> /dev/hdc3 / ext2 defaults 1 1 /dev/hda3 /usr ext2 defaults 1 1

    shashank> as you can see both the 5th and 6th field are 1 in my
    shashank> file.The / was like that by default and the second one i
    shashank> made like that because i thought the /usr was a part of
    shashank> / earlier and since one of the fields is for checking if
    shashank> the partition was unmounted properly (frrom what i
    shashank> gathered from man pages for fstab)and since /usr is a
    shashank> part of the system i thought checking it would make
    shashank> sense. Also i couldnt understand properly what the
    shashank> second 1 was for and just copied it from the / partition
    shashank> set value.

MEA MEGA CULPA.  Very sorry.  I made a big goof.  The 0 0 entry is
VERY wrong if one has ext2 filesystems.  I use reiserfs so I dont need
to fsck the filesystem so I dont need the sixth flag to be 1.

So your fstab seems fine except.  The foll is from man fstab.

       The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) pro­
       gram to determine the order in which filesystem checks are
       done at reboot time.  The root filesystem should be speci­
       fied with a fs_passno of 1, and other  filesystems  should
       have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a drive will be
       checked sequentially, but filesystems on different  drives
       will  be  checked  at the same time to utilize parallelism
       available in the hardware.  If the sixth field is not pre­
       sent  or  zero,  a value of zero is returned and fsck will
       assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

Therefore your / should have (I dont think you need dump)

/dev/hda1       /             ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1

the rest can have

/dev/hda3       /usr          ext2   defaults			0      2

this will enable a parallel fsck if they are on different drives as
mentioned above and this will most certainly save time for multiple
hard drives.

    shashank>   or is it the other way round make link from /home/usr
    shashank> to /home1/usr ? i mean since the user home directories
    shashank> are expected to be in /home/ though i admit i am only
    shashank> trying to make sense out of it and this may not be the
    shashank> case.

	ln -s <source-dir/file> <dest-dir/file> is the format (man
ln).