A short note on kernel compilation

hi,

	CCing this this since it should help others on the list.
Besides later on, one can refer to this article from the archives.

    Deiva> I am trying to compile the kernel for the first time and i
    Deiva> do not know how to go about it, frankly i am not able to
    Deiva> get my mind to read on kernel compilation. I would prefer
    Deiva> advice from a person who has done it before.

The process of kernel compilation is non trivial and if you goof up
you can do bad things.  I suggest that you read the Kernel-HOWTO in
any case and use my description if necessary.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am not responsible if you goof up and your system cant boot!"

	Well, you asked for it.  I am assuming this is the first time
you are doing this, and that this is a kernel version that you do not
have.  You'd need to be running x for the foll.  Youd also need to
have tk installed properly.

	After following my earlier instructions and successfully
patching code.

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make mrproper
# make xconfig

	A window will open with config options. Setting them all
correctly WILL take a LOT of time.  There are zillion options and
you'd better know what you are doing!  Check them all save the
configuration to a file with a decent name (useful if you want to
change your setup later).  Save and exit.

# make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/test-kernel-version-number
# vi /etc/lilo.conf

edit it to include the new kernel (this is how mine looks like
(modified a bit for your case)).  Please do not delete anything from
your current setup.

-----
boot=/dev/hda1
root=/dev/hda1
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
default=Linux
prompt
# add something like
image=/boot/test-kernel-version-number
        label=test
        read-only
# the foll. is your old kernel leave it as it is for now
image=/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	read-only

<other os images here>

# lilo -v
# reboot

# PRAY!!

As is evident this whole process is non trivial.  If you goof the lilo
stuff or copy the boot image to overwrite some partition you may be in
for big trouble.  I suggest that you read the Kernel-HOWTO in any case
and use my description if necessary.

	On debian you could use Manoj's kernel-package if you want.  I
prefer doing it by hand.