Re: Samba server is not working

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Elamurugu Kandasamy wrote:

<xelamurugu>Hi
<xelamurugu>    I got a problem in working with Samba Server(smb).
<xelamurugu>It is working fine with RHL6.0 but its not working
<xelamurugu>with RHL6.1. I can't share my Linux box with my
<xelamurugu>Windows 98 clients.

You need to chnage the registry settings for Win98 (as seen in SAMBA docs)
to enable plain text passwords. Also, do you have security=share in
/etc/smb.conf? Newer samba versions have default different, and you will
face problems.

BTW, which is your samba version?

<xelamurugu>    And I also want to know that, is it possible to
<xelamurugu>share my Windows 98(File and Printer Sharing) mechines
<xelamurugu>from my linux mechine.
<xelamurugu>    Can any one help me.

If what you are meaning is accessing Win share from Linux, then use
smbmount to mount it. If it is a printer u can use printtool to set the
SMB printer.

If you need a browse list of all the Win machines (as a domain), then set
the samba server as domain/local master and Wins server, and have the
clients use this for Wins, and you are done. (Wins will be more useful
only if yiu have two subnets on a gateway or so, and want to allow
cross-subnet browsing).

the samba docs and very useful and the newer versions have lot of features
for finetuning etc; no wonder SAMBA was rated the #1 filesrver software in
sveral independent surveys.

http://www.samba.org will be a good resource too.

Pls note: our company, in India as well as US, has been successfully using
SAMBA for *all* critical file servers and we will be quite happy to be a
resource if any body needs help. But I think the docs are good enough to
setup or tune a samba server.

PS: Pls do not trust the linuxconf that comes with RHL dist; they are
old/buggy and often screws up many config files; get the latest rpm of
linuxconf. This is, if you use it.... (What Prabhu said of kernel patches
is true here also, as far as RHL is concrened).

Best of Luck
-
Thanks						   Imagine Technologies
Oommen				         	    234, Huntington Ave
					 	       Boston, MA 02115
                                             Phone (Work):(617)437-9234
                                                   (Home):(617)770-9345
				   email:oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx