Re: Debian Problems

Hi,

On Feb 08, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> "Ravikant K. Rao" proclaimed:
> >
> >   2] I would like to load AfterStep everytime I go into X - I edited my
> > ~/.xinitrc to read "exec afterstep" but it didn't work. How would I load
> > whichever wm that I wanted?
>
> Each line in ~/.xinitrc should be the path to an app that you want during
> started up.  Background ('&') every task except for the window manager.
> Also make sure that your ~/.xinitrc has exec permissions set.

I have a debian tutorial with me, which says:

To customize your X startup, the file `/etc/X11/config' must contain
the line `allow-user-xsession'.

Maybe you don't have this. Only then will debian allow you to customize your X startup preferences by reading .xinitrc/.xsession. Otherwise it just boots the default wm. I don't use debian anymore, but it did work for me. I am not too sure, but I don't think .xinitrc needs exec permission.

hth
Gautam