Re: how to start ftp daemon

kamesh jayachandran forced the electrons to say:
> I want to know how to start ftp daemon.By default in my system telnet daemon
> is getting started but not ftpdaemon.If I want to start ftp daemon ,What I
> have to do.I f I want to automate the the startup of any service ,What change

So far as I know, neither ftpd nor telnetd are started at system boot
time. :-)

These are services that are started from inetd. Try looking into
/etc/inetd.conf and checking whether the line corresponding to ftpd is
commented out or not. If it is indeed commented out, enable it. Then tell
inetd that you have modified its configuration by the command

killall -HUP inetd

Now, you want to automate the startup of a service at boot time.

There are two kinds of services - those started from inetd, and those start on
their own. telnetd, ftpd imapd etc. fall in the first category, while sendmail,
httpd etc. fall in the second (even though you can start them from inetd, it
is not recommended).

To start from inetd, the method is to uncomment/add the relevant line in
inetd.conf, and then the above killall. To start standalone daemons, put an
entry in the appropriate /etc/rc.d/* files, with all the correct options.

Binand