Re: newbie question

Hi Kamesh,

kamesh jayachandran wrote:

> I want to know why Red hat linux is freely distributed along with pc quest
> magazine.I know linux is the contribution of open source community.Red hat
> built something upon it.Then why it is giving its product as free.I have seen
> in one iIT magazine at the release of red hat linux as it costs around 5000 RS
> or so with manual.

This 5000 Rupees is charged for the service. The service typically includes 60
day support. and also the media charges which come along with it. But one can
freely copy it and distribute it. This is essentially the concept of GNU(GNU is
not Unix) Licensing.

> Then why it is freely distributing it with pc quest magazine.Why other
> companies like Caldera,SuSe are not giving their products along with magazines
> as free.
> Thanks in advance
> kamesh jayachandran

For that you have to ask PCQuest.....They prefer RedHat Flavour of Linux.

Regards

Zameer Ahmed