modem doubt

I have finally managed to get my pcmcia cards to work in Linux. Thanks to all those who provided tips, links and pointers. Though, I see them properly configured, I am not able to use the modem. In fact, my modem is not getting initialized when I use KPPP. But, when I try with minicom things work. Why is this happening? I tried changing the modem initialization string in kppp, still things does not seem to work.

Another problem I am facing is with my sound card. I have a Yamaha built in to the IBM Thinkpad 1400 series. There seems to be some IO port clash. But, the audio CDs seems to work without much of trouble. It is only when I try to play the MP3s the system hangs totally and goes DEAD. I tried changing the settings by using the same IO resources that windows uses, but this does not seem to work either. I know I might be messing up somewhere. Any clues?

Regards,
Sriram