Re: Your suggestion for the "Internet oriented Languages" course

Try Python as the first language. In fact it is the best "first
langauage"(ask ESR) It is object oriented and powerful while still being
very simple. It can also be run as a script without going through the
compile cycle which makes it ideal for practice in the lab sessions. Its
english like syntax helps students concentrate on programming logic
which is what they should be learning in the early stages instead of
language specific syntax. That could be followed with HTML (it is the
front end of most internet apps) and CGI/PERL both of which are powerful
languages. Round it off with a short course on Java. Java is very hyped
and so you might not be able to avoid it. HTML is the universal front
end though XML may catchup. You will have to throw in a database
(postgresql) for backend connectivity without which very few internet
apps will work.

hansolo