why am i getting this message..

Hi,
    I have installed linux into one of my machines.It has 2 hard disks & the primary master is a 6.2 GB one & the other a 1.2 GB secondary master.I installed linux into an extended partition on the primary master & put swap into the secondary master.now when ever i boot linux i am getting the follwing message.

    hda : status timed out : status =0xd0{Busy}
    hda : no DRQ after issuing WRITE
    ide0 : reset :success.

        This message cames after the login prompt.So the screen looks something like this

login    :

    hda : status timed out : status =0xd0{Busy}
    hda : no DRQ after issuing WRITE
    ide0 : reset :success.

This message comes after a few seconds after displaying the login prompt. around  2-3 seconds.
Is it because i installed linux into an extended partition ? Also i have got an S3 Trio 3D. But seems like this is not supported. I am new to to this fentastic OS.is it mandatory that it should be installed only on the primary partition.

TIA.
Biju Nair
HCL Cisco ODC
49-50, Nelson Manickam Road