ppp dial in

hi,

Mani Sridhar writes:
 >      And BTW, Prabhu, pppd in Linux seems to misunderstand the usage of
 > the ampersand ( & ). When I put "exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttyS1 &"
 > in a file "ppp" in the home directory of the person logging in and he ran
 > it, the logs here said that the kernel LACKS support for PPP. All just
 > because of the &. I remove the & and the kernel now supports PPP. I guess
 > I know why i love Linux so much.

	I cannot explain this behaviour but when you exec something
you dont need to background it since exec'ing it replaces the current
shell with the pppd process.  man exec to see what bash has to say
about it.  So "exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttyS1" is enough.

	I dont know what the problem is but it seems RH 6.0 seems to
cause every kind of problem.

 > 			pppd[477]: Peer is not authorised to use remote
 > address 192.168.1.2

	This is a pot shot but may work - in your /etc/ppp/options  add
the foll
--------
 # With this option, pppd will accept the peer's idea of our local IP
 # address, even if the local IP address was specified in an option.
 ipcp-accept-local

 # With this option, pppd will accept the peer's idea of its (remote) IP
 # address, even if the remote IP address was specified in an option.
 ipcp-accept-remote
--------

	This was cut and pasted from the PPP-HOWTO. So please also
spend some time and read the PPP-HOWTO.

	If mp3s is what you want a better idea will be to bring your
friends Hard disk. :)