Re: Telnet and FTP trouble

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, S.Gopinath wrote:
>     I noted this problem when I use with Intel Etherexpress ProB (Intel
> 82558).
> I think there the HUB hardware also plays a role though I may not able to
> give
> theoritcal proff for that.  You may tell me your hardware config. (NIC).
 etc etc.

this kind of delay (order of minute or so) in initial connection is almost
always due to name service related issues. no ethernet level problem can
cause this kind of delay unless there is some serious functional flaw in
equipment (meaning, equipment/cable is downright broken). as has been
posted by several others earlier, i am willing to lay my bet on name
service problem (add the ip to /etc/hosts will fix the problem). perhaps,
the original poster can repost and indicate if the problem has been solved
- and put an end to the thread.

sriram