mail processing

Hello,

I have a problem in forwarding  mails to a program. I want to (automatic)
process the incoming mails by forwarding it to a program. I tried the
following

I put the following the .forward file in the home dir of the user and sent a
mail to the user.

"| /path/to/program ARG"

It is notworking and the mail is bounced to postmaster/Mailer-daemon . The
error message is, the program is not availble for sendmail programs.

When i commented the .forwared file, the mail reaches /var/spool/mail/USER.

But when I use  from the command line it is working

/path/to/program ARG < mail contents

Can any one help me in this. How to make the .forward to work?

suresh