Re: IRC server status

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 03:18:26AM +0530, Ravi Rao said:

 Hi,

 => If you're going to run a linux based IRC server.... :
 => I have absolutely *NO* idea what kind of freeware linux IRC servers are

	It has a rather obvious name, ircd. Ships with every
self-respecting Linux distribution.

 => available , who might have any of them on CDs , how to administer them , etc
		 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^

		  See above. 	                   'man ircd' may help.

 => and I am fairly comfortable with 5.5 Chat Server Admin work .... IRC + is a
 => breeze... a person with an IQ < 5 would be able to admin that server ...
 => wherefore it is useless ... in effect ... because of the lapse in

 	I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here, and
will not run the risk of being accused of jumping to a conclusion. :)

 =>   This in other words would be amounting to ask some linux guru to take over

	Why don't you give it a shot ? Especially since you seem to be
pretty enthusiastic about IRC in general and #ilugc (or whatever) in
particular ?  If you run into trouble you can always ask  for help on
the list. I'm sure Asokan will have some variant of ircd on his box,
and given that it's unlikely to be a high volume channel, there
shouldn't be problems. Asokan ?

	Somehow the idea of running the ilugc channel on a Windows box
seems a mite blasphemous ...

 => be online 24/24 ... or similar...I get replies / postings from
 => atul/manoj/raju/etc .. at 3 and 4 in the morning ..... checking the headers

	Maybe so, but I can only echo Prabhu's sentiments here. I don't
use IRC, and as such am unlikely to be of much help. Given the scarce
and expensive nature of Net access, you must forgive one for thinking
IRC to be a bit of waste. Still, to every man his own.

	Cheers,

						-arun

--
MESSAGE ACKNOWLEDGED -- The Pershing II missiles have been launched.