Re: Worldwide Linux Demo Day Project

> Sriram,

>As per this website,

>* the linux demo is planned internationally during sep 12-18, to
> comemmorate the announcement of Linux 0.01 in Mid Sep 1991, although the actual dates are as per the individual LUGs' convenience
> * each LUG can register and the name will be listed as a participant
>* there are a lot of sponsors (from US) who will supply printed
material, the despatch of which to the regd LUGs is planned by Mid
> aug only

Oh no! I saw these dates (a few weeks back) but confused the demo day as mid Aug and thought we will skip the printed material as we were too short of time. In fact I do not think I mentioned about the printed materials to Prabhu and Arun. My apologies to them and the list members for incomplete information.

Okay We can now formally inform them and pick a Sunday in that range- I just spent half-an-hour looking at a place in T NAgar. ANyway, this also gives us  lot more time. We can plan better and do a bigger/better job.

The draft plan I had was to rent a hall, rent exihibition panels ~20 and print, hand draw /write posters and organize them like in a usual exhibition. We will have 5/6 volunteers, who will take groups of 5-10 visitors around the circuit explaining the posters. Therre will be 4/5 computers running demos of major software. And there will be a place where peopel can play around on the computers - may be another 2/3 of them.

Today I have looked at a large hall which can easily stand 1000 people. So I thought if we get it (There is a question of if they let it out for open to the public type of function), we will need more machines. I have organized for 10-12. May be Oommen and some more people can pitch in and we can have 25-30 posters and after the preliminary 5-8 posters one computer by the side of each poster. I have also been promised some UPS support.

We need to plan on the the following.
   A - posters
      A1. COntent
      A2. Sequence
      A3. How to make which - some may be couple of a4 sheets printed, some themes may be better off as hand written etc.,
      A4. How many?

   B - Volunteers
      B1.How many? - WHile generally more the merrier is true, it is important that a consistent message be sent by the 'guides' So a selected 6-8 may be identified and they will and train what to say etc.,
      B2. Can some one pitch in and get Linux T-Shirts for them??

   C - Location
      Give me a day and then I will confirm the current possibility. It is in T Nagar and very close to Vani Mahal. If it is not available we will need to think of other places.

   D- Material
     D1. Prabhu had suggested getting FAQ's, Install guides printed and given. May be we can collect the names of people who are serious and give to them. Otherwise everyone will take it. But anyway those are my ythoughts. Of course we can write to and get the Oracle/O'Reilly material as npoted by Oommen.

   E - Advertising

  E1. Tentatively I had planned on ads in DQ Week, and cajoling guys in other papers for coverage. Focus InfoTech has a PR agency, and they (Focus) have promised that the PR guys can get that to happen
  E2. Print /handwrite wall posters and post them around the place.
  E3. banners in ChennaiOnline site ( I can get it free ).

All the above are just thoughts offered as a starting point. Please go ahead and give your views/ideas that we can get the lug on the international map.

P Asokan

>Just a thought...
Have these aspects been missed out?
If we have (free) printed material from the (International) sponsors like
Sybase, MCP, Orielly etc on Linux, that will be more impressive I feel.

Or, have all these arrangements been made already?

-
Oommen.