Re: Linux Demo day.

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

prabhu> Dear LUG members,
prabhu>
prabhu> 	A worldwide campaign is currently on the anvil to commemorate
prabhu> the beginning of the Linus Torvalds' Linux project in the summer of
prabhu> 1991. It has been proposed that Linux User Groups all over hold Linux
prabhu> Demo days where the man on the street is made aware of the fact that
prabhu> an alternative exists.
prabhu>
prabhu> 	  There exists a detailed plan/offer from OS4 (c/o P. Asokan,
prabhu> who has registered chennailug.org for us) to organise this event with
prabhu> funding and support from Focus Infotech.  The idea is to set up an
prabhu> exposition where exhibition panels bearing introductory explanatory
prabhu> material will be displayed.  A few machines running a gamut of
prabhu> software will be demo'ed. The event will be publicised - ads in
prabhu> DQWeek, posters, banners on chennaionline.com.  The complete cost of
prabhu> this operation has already been taken care of by OS4.  The event is
prabhu> planned for the Sunday, 22nd Aug.
prabhu>
prabhu> 	Given that ILUGC has been active for a year, we feel that it
prabhu> is appropriate that we participate in this initiative.  We need support
prabhu> in the form of ideas and volunteers.
prabhu>
prabhu>
prabhu>
prabhu> P. Asokan, R. Sriram (!= Dr. Sriram), K. Arun and Prabhu
prabhu> ---

That's a very welcome move from ILUGC.
Although most non-techie laymen who read papers and mags have at least
heard of Linux and its market share in the IT field, such a show will be a
real push at least to have companies think of adopting Linux instead of M$
solutions, if we cannot influence the desktop (home users) - which will
take some more time I feel.

How is the whole thing arranged?
Can't we have some presentation-manager-like software (say PowerPoint)
running a (continuous) slide-show showing the history, features etc of
Linux? We had such a presentation recently and will be able to provide
inputs, if necessary.

We, Imagine Technologies, are one of the first commercial organisations in
Madras to successfully use Linux for *all* our servers handling critical
functions, even for those servers in the US.

We will be very much happy to be invloved in the show.
Pls count us in.

Regards,                                              Imagine Technologies
Oommen                                           16, Shaffee Mohammed Road
   				      	       	              Rutland Gate
eMail: oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx			   Chennai 600 006
       oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 					     INDIA
	   				   Voice: 91-44-8293565/66,8211733
                                            Fax : 91-44-8225341
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a