ILUGC - Minutes

Minutes of Chennai ILUGC meeting
-------------------------------

Date    : 17/07/99
Venue   : Computer Centre at IIT Madras
Speaker : Ganesh B.

It Begins..........
-------------------

The Meeting began at a little after 4.00 pm. The meeting was attended
by 20-25 Linux Enthusiasts.

It was announced that a "shiny BeOs CD" will be demo'ed. So the lights
were dimmed and the show began.......

I came a bit late and I think I missed the painless installation of
BeOs. Took a little less than 10 minutes I believe. The completly GUI
installation came with Partition Magic, for those who hate fips, Any
way I love it :-)

The Boot time was typically under 15 seconds. It all felt like racing
the Ferrari . But more was to come.

Ganesh showed the GUI and explained the presense of a few familiar
things as :

a) The omnivous "Start Bar" in the BeOs GUI
b) The lovable bash shell
c) The VI editor

THREADS......
-------------

The strong point of BeOs is it multithreading (Pervasing M-threading)
 and  few graphical apps as the famous "Tea Pot" demo was shown.

In the back some asked "Where the sound?"

And the sound handling was a killer. The MIDI playback was superb. I
believe "Cats in the Cradle" was played. The Piano tones were sounding
orignal.

Regarding MP3 files playback. Two MP3 files were played back at the
same time!

In the back some asked "Where the sound?"

And the sound handling was a killer. The MIDI playback was superb. I
believe "Cats in the Cradle" was played. The Piano tones were sounding
orignal.

Regarding MP3 files playback. Two MP3 files were played back at the
same time!

Regarding MP3 files playback. Two MP3 files were played back at the
same time! .

To finish the demo 4 movie were played "simultaneously" at the same
time on four sides of a cube. With no quality detoriation...

I call that "Adi Polli"

Announcements
------------

One gentleman from NICT, reported that the recent TamilNadu School
results which was published in the web. Linux+MySQL solution
outperformed very easily the Windows NT solution.

After this the usual social interactions, nicities were observed.
In the dim I could distincltly hear VI vs Emacs arguments.:)

Any Its a free India, free Code, free OS......

Hope I caught all the glimmer at the meeting

-Zameer Ahmed
zameer.at.bigfoot.com