Kde installation

Srikanth
18 AVM AVENUE
2ND MAIN ROAD
VIRUGAMBAKKAM
CHENNAI 600092

dear sir,
            I have recently installed Red hat   LINUX5.2 with xwindows.Now i tried to Install  Kdesktop environment but was unable to do so.I tried the same from Pcquest april'99 cdrom.I followed the instructions as given in Pcquest  April'99 magazine pg.108
when i tried to untar the KDE packages by typing  Tar fx /mnt/cdrom/linux/kde/kde-1.1-rh5x-i386-rpms-complete-set.tar
it gives error message "bash:Tar:command not found".So kindly please help me in installing the kde

thanking you
srikanth