Re: Wierd RH 6.0 behaviour.

u> Hi,
u>
u>  => u> 	- /var usage going to 100% as detected by df, and not a single
u>  => u> file or files being found on the partition to account for the space.
u>  => 	Hmmm....kernels track usage of a filesystem by the number of
u>  => 	open files in a filesystem. If a file is open and has been
u>  => 	deleted, its contents will not be freed until the last close.
u>
u> I suppose lsof is my friend here then. This problem clears itself
u> only after a reboot, when usage goes back to a sane 9-10%.  Is there
u> an alternative solution ? I've never seen this happen before.
	What is lsof? never heard of it. You could use that utility
	called "fuser". Its great to find out who's using files in a
	filesystem and stuff.

u>  => u> 	- telnet into the server taking interminable periods of time
u>  => 	"telnet" attempts to figure out what the name of the client
u>  => 	machine is. This might take a long time if its winds down to
u>  => 	DNS.
u>
u> I may be talking through my hat here, but the /etc/host.conf file
u> lists hosts before bind, and since we do not run any sort of name
u> service here (tn.nic.in does it, I guess), all telnet(d) needs to do
u> is look at the complete /etc/hosts files on every box. Besides, this
u> also happens when telnet is passed the IP.
	You pass the IP to the telnet client, but the telnetd on the
	machine does not see this.

	The telnetd typically has to create a utmp and other such
	entries for your login (or is it login that does it).
	Anyways, if the telnet hangs after the connected message -
	e.g.
		telnet labouche
		Trying 204.160.251.71...
		Connected to labouche.