Re: NOHUP

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Glynn Clements wrote:

glynn>
glynn> Oommen Thomas wrote:
glynn>
glynn> > AFAIK, unless we spec a 'nohup' any user process running in the
glynn> > background, will terminate once s/he logs out.
glynn>
glynn> Not necessarily. The process will receive SIGHUP. The default
glynn> disposition for SIGHUP is to terminate the process, but a program can
glynn> override this if it wishes.
glynn>
glynn> --
glynn> Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
glynn>

But stty -a shows hupcl as default.
Why then does background processes not get killed at all, when user logs
out ? This happens with even simple shell scripts - say I have one with
'tail -f /etc/passwd' which if run in background, remains (sleeping)
unatttached even after logging out.

Why?

_
Oommen.